Friday, May 6, 2016

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES FOR MAY 2016: LIFE GOES ON

 
FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:
Computer blue...
As you all know by know, especially or those of you who know me and have taken the time to just check in with me, I have taken the death of Prince extremely hard. I am still in disbelief, so much so that when I watch the footage that has been flooding You Tube within this past week, I am amazed all over again at the sheer vitality of the man, a vitality that felt to be unstoppable and so, miraculously immortal.

Of course, I knew that he wasn't and now, we all know proof positive that he wasn't. But, as I wrote last month, Prince was an individual who just never seemed to be remotely finished. There were always the possibilities that arrived when pondering whatever was to come next. Since he was cremated only two mere days after is passing, it feels so profoundly heavy to me that he is not only gone, it almost feels as if he never was. We know that to not be true, and we know that his presence is seismic and will reverberate though the cultivation of his artistic legacy and through all those he influenced. But even so, it hurts and I've cried quite a bit over this--for his mortality and I would guess for my own as time itself is the undefeated champion. Ashes to ashes...

Well, before his passing and all of the emotions that it stirred up, I was invited to a birthday party by a friend that I have interacted with but actually have not seen since my Freshman year of college.
His name is Randy Ballwahn, and he is, and has been, a fixture of the Madison music community for close to 20 years as drummer of the highly celebrated local indie band The German Art Students--recipients of the 2015 Madison Area Music Association (M.A.M.A.) awards for Rock Performer Of The Year as well as Rock Album Of The Year for their most recent effort "Time Machine" (released March 14, 2014). 

Additionally, he is the DJ/host of the outstanding radio show entitled "Freak Scene Radio," which is broadcast on WSUM-FM Friday mornings from 6 a.m.-8 a.m. Dear readers and listeners, if you happen to be a slow riser in the mornings just as I am, Randy's radio show will indeed wake you up powerfully as it is a two hour collection of new and classic alternative rock and his presentation is spirited, aggressive and brilliantly seamless. I once expressed to him that his show sounds like an "audio speedball" due to its overall velocity and impact and he seemed to really be pleased with that assessment. So...do check out his show!!!

I first met Randy in college at the University Of Wisconsin-Madison in 1987 when I was a Freshman and he was a Senior and both of us were DJs at WSUM's predecessor, WLHA-FM, and our shows followed each other's. What I remember about our very first meeting was our brief introduction where my show was ending and I was beginning to make the transition to his show which carried a moniker that I am unable to remember at this time. Just before I was to announce that Randy would be taking the airwaves, he quickly informed me to not use his real name and to deliver his alias instead, incidentally a name I do remember but for whatever inexplicable reasons, I still feel compelled to keep that alter ego to myself.

And then, I began to watch and listen to Randy spin his music and weave his show. It was something of such confidence, skill and talent, that I new immediately as a novice that I seriously had to step up my game if I was to exist in his superior league. His musical taste was more expansive than my own at the time and it was indeed impeccable. And even though I was simultaneously intimidated and seriously impressed, Randy just carried himself with an ease and graciousness that was disarming and more than anything, it helped me to begin to find whatever confidence I needed to have when performing my own show. Besides...the man was just COOL!! It was like having Stewart Copeland as a DJ and being there to assist, guide and just have an overall affable nature which helped my overall transition to college as a whole. Nothing but good words and memories by far.

Randy graduated and I carried onwards at WLHA until my own graduation in 1991. Our paths did not cross again until very recently as Randy reached out to em through Facebook as some Synesthesia postings concerning the Madison music community began to be shared around. At first, his name did not ring any bells but after a few back and forths of an internet chat, the memories and full recognition happily came into focus.

This entire preamble was meant to provide you with a bit of background over an event I attended within the past week that very loosely tied into the emotions I was experiencing with Prince's death. The occasion was a birthday party, more specifically Randy's 50th birthday party, I was honestly surprised to have received an invitation from him as I hadn't seen him since 1987. Additionally, he was having friends take turns being DJs for the party and asked if I would be interested in doing a one hour set. Certainly I would!! Even so, I was nervous as I had never DJed at a party before. I just did not want to be the one out of step who brought the party to a crashing halt with my musical taste. What if it didn't gel properly?

Yes, I worry too much. I know.

Soon, the DJ lineup was created, I actually had a slot and everything was good to go.

DJ Lineup update:
2pm: Randy B/Freak Scene Madison
3pm: DJ Goldy/Golden Throne Lounge Middleton
4pm: Scott Sabatke/Burnhearts Tavern Milwaukee
5pm: Savage Scott Collins/Synesthesia Madison
6pm: DJ duMars/Red Planet Radio Madison/Deforest
7pm: DJ Cub/Dept. of Awesomeness Chicago
8pm and beyond: Free for all/Open platters
I picked my CDs and dug deep into my personal "archives" to grab some vinyl selections. And finally, I collected some food donations to deliver as Randy requested that in lieu of any birthday presents, donations to the private, non-profit Goodman Community Center would be more preferable and warmly welcomed.

The day of the party was quite chilly and would soon be overcome with a steady rainfall that began in the morning and did not let up whatsoever. Obviously, this was not conducive to holding an outdoor party but Randy remained intrepid and announced that rain and wind be damned, the celebration would continue as planned. I arrived at his home late in the afternoon with music and donations in hand to discover the party well attended and therefore, protected from the wetter parts of the elements from some erected tents. The DJ set-up was in the garage and functioning with loud but not over-bearing effectiveness--just enough to be the pulsing soundtrack of the day but not so loud as to be forced to shout in order to be heard. I was given a crash course over the DJ equipment by Scott Sabatke, the DJ currently manning the turntables, and by 5 p.m., it was my turn.

Feeling that I still needed to find my bearings, I began with some Big Audio Dynamite on CD and phased over to a 9 minute plus Jimi Hendrix selection on vinyl to buy myself some time. I knew immediately that Prince would have to be played this night and therefore, so would David Bowie, but I didn't want to go for obvious selections (not that there's anything wrong with those songs which are the most familiar--I just tend to want to try something different and hope for the best).
For Prince, I chose one of his now rare b-side non-album tracks: "Shockadelica" which is the flip side to "If I Was Your Girlfriend." And it was at this point where I began to take a larger notice of my surroundings. For the first three songs I played, I was trying to make sure I understood the equipment well enough but also tried to have songs that contained a certain level of "beats and bass" to help give the party a bit of a bounce. No one paid much attention to me, which was perfectly fine as I didn't really want to call attention to myself. Just keep me as a bit of the scenery and the focus would all be upon Randy, the food, drink and merriment among friends and relations. But then, as I have just eluded, I began to notice something quite nice...

My experiences in radio have all been solitary. I am typically all alone in the studio spinning songs and telling stories all the while having no discernible idea if anyone is even listening at all. It's like I am in my own private world. At Randy's party, I could be witness to an immediate effect, either positive or negative, and that had it sown share of excitement. As "Shockadelica" played, I looked up and slowly saw party-goers spontaneously begin to move their bodies to the beat as they conversed. I saw heads bobbing up and down. And I thought to myself, "Wow...it's really working."

Soon, I was approached by one party guest and we began conversing about Prince's passing. Not long afterwards, another visitor to the DJ booth began speaking to me about Prince and as I continued along my musical way, people would occasionally approach me and engage me in conversation about the music or any manner of subject matter as I still saw people bobbing up and down or taking a glance as to what was being played.

After my set and once DJ duMars took over the turntables for a vigorous set of great music (during which Prince's "Little Red Corvette" was played and received a loud cheer of recognition), I spent my time having conversations with the Birthday Boy himself, an individual whose trim fit and enthusiastic demeanor fully belied his new age (only the short grey hair was a giveaway), and whose overall disposition was as warm as it had been back when we were in our late teens and young adults, respectively. And in the spirit of giving, when I asked about his band as I was so unfamiliar with them, he quickly entered his home and returned with copies of two albums by The German Art Students. Completely unnecessary and completely appreciated.

I also spent much of my time holding court with Peter Lawrence-Wehrle, another WSUM DJ and host of the excellent program "Rock And Roll Over" formerly entitled "The Study Lounge." In fact, through speaking with him and his wife, Mary Lawrence-Wehrle, I discovered that he too was a WLHA veteran, someone I may have crossed paths with or one who joined after I had graduated. It was just a meeting that sparked some much needed uplift and only added to the full enjoyment of the afternoon/evening.

The birthday party, which was surrounded by chilly wind and unending rain, was, by contrast, a completely warming occasion, where it actually helped me to try and get myself out of my own funk regarding Prince's death. Because I would imagine that Prince himself would probably want for us to understand that life does indeed continue after one dies. It moves forwards and onwards, it surrounds us and what better way to celebrate this particular force than to join together in celebration of the day a friend was born. To find communion with food, drink, music and friendship...what could be better?
In fact, I now find myself thinking about a gorgeous song composed, produced and performed by the extremely talented singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Jason Falkner. The song is called "Revelation" from his album "Can You Still Feel?" (released February 23, 1999) and the chorus states the following:

"So, why am I down when there is life all around?
Don't make a sound

Can't you hear life all around?
It's all around"

Yes it is. Words to remember and words that came into focus on this afternoon.

So, as we live life, I urge all of you to keep music as an essential piece...and as always...

...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CODA-MY DJ SLOT SET LIST:
1. "'BAD" performed by Big Audio Dynamite
2. "Who Knows" performed by Jimi Hendrix with Band Of Gypses
3. "Losing My Edge" performed by LCD Soundsystem
4. "Shockadelica" performed by Prince
5. "Stay (live in Nassau 1976) performed by David Bowie
6. "Beanie G. And The Rose Tattoo" performed by Hall & Oates
7. "What She Said" performed by TV Eyes
8. "Deathwish" performed by The Police
9. "No Reason" performed by Nick Lowe
10."Sunshine In The Shade" performed by The Fixx
11."Reasons To Be Cheerful Part 3" performed by Ian Dury and the Blockheads

No comments:

Post a Comment