Sunday, May 15, 2016

ADVENTURES AND IMAGES FROM RECORD STORE DAY: APRIL 16, 2016

Dear readers and listeners, this day could not have been any more beautiful.

From the weather, to the musical performances, to the extra special events and of course, to the excited and flowing crowds within the local establishments, Record Store Day 2016 was nothing less than blissfully perfect and purely celebratory of the Madison music community as a whole.

In past years, I have typically experienced Record Store Day very rapidly, as I would venture into a store, snap a few pictures and make a purchase either in between or after running some other errands. This year, however, I had made plans to take in as much as I was able and therefore, I mentally plotted out my day, so as to not miss anything that I had wished to see.

1.B-SIDE RECORDS
POST SOCIAL
SHANNON CONNOR: Guitars, vocals
MITCH DEITZ: Guitars, vocals
SAM GALLIGAN: Bass Guitar
BRENDAN MANLEY: Drums

First upon my docket was to head straight to B-Side Records and the nearby Peace Park upon State Street to witness Post Social perform once again and with both Dash Hounds, and a third band named the Pollinators performing directly afterwards. Once I parked my car in the lot behind B-Side and the accompanying stores, I ventured towards Peace Park and already, I could hear the sounds of Post Social enthusiastically bashing away at their leading track from their second album "Young Randolphs" (released October 3, 2015) , entitled "Offline." 

It was one year ago, on last year's Record Store Day in fact, when I first saw Post Social perform live and met the band members in person. Incidentally, it was also the event that became the catalyst for the extensive and exclusive interviews I conducted with the band, as well as with former Modern Mod bassist/singer/songwriter Alivia Kleinfeldt, last year (and of course, all chronicled upon this blogsite in the September 2015 and November 2015 sections)--all of which gave me a significantly larger view into their inspirations, goals and overall creative process. This year, and now having seen the band perform live on several occasions, I was able to gather another insight into the band as I am witnessing especially seasoned performers who are continuing to grow and progress.
Taking the Peace Park stage directly at noon, Post Social gave a one hour performance which continued to promote the material found upon "Young Randolphs" including the exuberant "Ohio," the propulsive "Gentle Ben" as well as the dreamy "Green Screen." In addition to dipping back into music from their self titled debut album (released December 6, 2014) with the shimmering sunshine of "Days" and the intricate and venomous power of "Something In The Water," brand new material was also presented as the performance was not only designed to support Record Store Day, it was also in support of the band's brand new two track single "Guac Bomb/Poster Boy," which was set to be released later that evening and in advance of the band's third album, which is almost in the can.
With the arrival of Spring and its full warmth in the air surrounding everyone, Post Social seemed to be especially revitalized. Guitarist/singer Mitch Deitz, guitarist/singer Shannon Connor, bassist Sam Galligan and drummer Brendan Manley remained in veritable lockstep rhythmically and forcefully, at times sounding simultaneously tighter and looser as these songs have been performed so numerously. The band was the definition of a "well oiled machine," and through the reaction of the fluctuating sizes of the crowds walking and gathering upon State Street, the band's versatility and rich textures translated most effectively.
 
Adorned with his bright green Record Store Day T-shirt, Deitz once again was the frontman you could not take your eyes away from as his infectious energy served as the best invitation to passerbys to stop and take a look at the band and listen to the music. Bobbing and swaying back and forth while wielding his guitar and singing with utmost confidence, Mitch Deitz was the picture of pure, unadulterated joy.
Superbly powering the band from the rear, as always, was Brendan Manley. Perpetually hunched over his drum kit, with his long hair again mostly obscuring his facial features, Manley bashed out his rhythms with authoritative flair, punch and swing. 
But what impressed me the most about this particular Post Social performance were the two quieter members of the band: Shannon Connor and Sam Galligan. With Connor, who just last year struck a pose especially reticent and almost remote despite the flexibility of his guitar work, he displayed a greater confidence this year that was truly exciting to regard. His playing has grown to be more expressive and dynamic than the year before and it was also thrilling to me to watch him take the lead vocals on more than one occasion. While I certainly do not expect him to be climbing and jumping off of speakers and Peace Park stones like his bandmate Deitz, I really loved watching Connor emerge a bit further from his shell, 
Even more impressive to me was the equally reticent Sam Galligan, a figure so quiet that I remarked to Alivia Kleinfeldt that I was unsure if I had ever even heard the young man speak, to which she cheerfully replied, "You probably haven't. He's kinds mysterious!" Even so, the thing I noticed the most about him this time around was his increasingly impressive sense of musicality. For as many times as he has played these songs, I was stunned to hear an additional flourish to his playing as if he has somehow discovered new notes to play and new and even improved ways to play the songs, therefore making now familiar songs sound even fresher. Sam Galligan is rapidly becoming a musical force to be reckoned with and most importantly, he helps grandly to make Post Social an unstoppable band fully deserving of your attention and adoration.

DASH HOUNDS
ALIVIA KLEINFELDT: Guitars, vocals
BRENDAN MANLEY: Guitars
with
SAM GALLIGAN: Bass Guitar
TOM TESLIK: Drums
As Post Social performed, I was so happy to have a few moments to speak with Alivia Kleinfeldt once again before she took the "stage" with her latest project Dash Hounds, a collaboration with her former Modern Mod bandmate Brendan Manley. Although feeling a bit under the weather on this otherwise gorgeous day, Kleinfeldt remained perky, in terrific spirits and ready to strap on her guitar once again. 

For me, I have to say that I was even more excited to see Dash Hounds than even Post Social as I honestly had no idea of what to expect musically. I was witness to the debut live performance from the band last fall, and since then, I have been privy to one official studio track entitled "Idee Fixe" (which Kleinfeldt expressed that she wishes to re-record) as well as an in progress 8 minute studio track (armed with the working title "Cheetah"). But aside from those nuggets, music from Dash Hounds has been gestating slowly and purposefully, despite the relative frequency of their live performances around Madison. Essentially, the band seems to be in the process of discovering and building its musical identity, a fascinating thing to witness from my vantage point. And if their performance on Record Store Day is any indication, I am feeling that Kleinfeldt and Manley are in the throes of creating something really provocative.
Performing alongside the brilliant Sam Galligan and Tom Teslik now manning the drum kit as Manley switched from drums to guitar (the very instrument he constructed himself), Dash Hounds began their performance right at 1:00 p.m. with a vibrant track that I remember from their debut performance, a song that had the jump and bounce of something you might find on an early album by The Police. From this point, the band ventured through a series of still untitled songs (including the work in progress of the tentatively titled "Cheetah") that were more temporal in tone and mood, compared to the complex yet rambunctious energy of Post Social. 
If there is one word that I could use to describe the full performance of Dash Hounds, that word would be "stormy." The band certainly weaved a turbulently dark spell over State Street as their songs, filled will patiently revolving chords and interlocking guitar patterns that were hypnotizing, slowly built themselves into music that was completely enveloping and intense, then dissipates and reforms all over again. Each time a song completed, it felt as if the clouds were only then washed away, leaving blue skies and an altered mood in its wake. They were like early morning dreams that continued to either linger or disturb long after waking.

Alivia Kleinfeldt was in full command of her gifts this day, as I was again impressed to hear a singing voice so low and rich emerge from a figure who otherwise has been so upbeat and charming each time that I have spoken with her. If there is a certain storminess lurking inside of her, then Dash Hounds allows for her to release it in captivating style. 
Brendan Manley also stepped up to the plate with definitive skill. While he might have been a tad nervous coming out from behind the drums to the forefront, and with his long hair consistently obscuring his face, Manley contributed powerfully to the sonic textures through a variety of subtle effects and feedback washes combined with elegant lines and phrasings.

After their performance, I spent a few more moments with Kleinfeldt, congratulating her and also expressing my growing pride for what she is accomplishing through her music and art. That it takes a person of a certain strength and character to walk away from something that had built up an impressive cache within her previous band Modern Mod. That she and her bandmates could have easily continued that band and taken whatever may have been offered to them but instead walked away to begin again on their own terms as professional musicians and artists. Her strength and integrity is undeniably inspiring. And this day only made the wait for the first Dash Hounds EP that much more difficult to bear!
Now it was time to venture indoors and see my friend(s). 

As I am certain that I have expressed to you, B-Side has been one of the record store that I have frequented ever since I arrived in Madison as a college Freshman in 1987. As the last store of its kind standing upon State Street, a location that once housed a myriad of record stores, including one in which I was employed for a spell, I have made it my mission to give the store and its owner/proprietor Steve Manley my business as much as I am able to give to him. And in doing so, I have found myself with a treasured friend, one who has shared his musical knowledge and additional passions with me, as well as the beaming pride he has for his family, including his son Brendan, performing live just a stone's throw away at Peace Park.
 
Making my purchases, including the latest from Kendrick Lamar, I congratulated Steve on not only his son's performances but also with the heavy business he was receiving upon this day, as his establishment was rightfully populated, so much so that he was rarely able to step outdoors to see the bands for himself. Even I could not venture throughout the store as much as I may have wished due to the amount of people, a great sight to be sure, and an even greater "problem" to have for Steve.
Before leaving State Street for my next destination, I wanted to just check out first song by the day's'third band, Pollinators, which to my surprise was led by Tom Teslik, who stepped out from the Dash Hound drum set to center stage on lead vocals and guitar. Superbly supported by Cole Haman on Bass Guitar and Matt Magnusson on drums, the trio began their performance supporting their latest EP "Self Addressed Envelope" (released April 1, 2016).
With Pollinators, I was immediately impressed. Their sound, at least from what I could gather from the nearly 7 minute opener entitled "Used To Without You," the band possessed a clean, melodic sound fronted by Teslik's clear vocals and expressive solos, all of which suggested something like the lost track from Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend" (released October 22, 1991)

As with what I have already heard with Post Social, Modern Mod, Dash Hounds, Trophy Dad and Barbara Hans, Pollinators feels to be yet another young, local band who truly has studied all that has come before them and have emerged as gifted songwriters and musicians who place the song at the forefront and seemingly without any sense of ego. In fact, that one song has even inspired me to check out their Bandcamp page and even make a purchase of their new effort. Moreso, this day again warmed me to see such a supportive group of musicians as they play with each other's bands and offer solidarity by becoming spectators and fans along with the general public. 

If I could accomplish this feat with my postings single-handedly, I would ensure that the nation at large would take notice of this collective of young musicians and therefore, our city at large as a viable source of musical energy and creativity worth investigating and embracing.

But first, I needed to head over to Mad City Music Exchange...

2. MAD CITY MUSIC EXCHANGE

As with B-Side, I have frequented Mad City Music Exchange ever since I arrived in Madison for college and also when the store itself was housed in a completely different location in the city. In fact, I even remember my very first trip to the store sometime during my Freshman year as I, along with my roommate ventured off of the beaten record store path on State Street on the hunt for even rarer grooves. On a whim, I sheepishly asked the clerk if he had any copies of Prince's then white hot bootleg "The Black Album," the very album pulled from its 1987 mass release just mere weeks before it was set to be unleashed into the world. To my shock and surprise, the clerk replied to me, "Yeah, it's right over here," and then, the man handed me a vinyl copy which I purchased right then and there.
From that point, Mad City, before and after the move, was my home for finding those rare Prince bootlegs. But even after the bootlegs dried up, and former clerk and WORT FM DJ Dave Zero took over the location as owner/proprietor, I have still continued to venture to the store often as I happen to drive past it daily. If I have the time, there is simply nothing like thumbing through the stacks, looking for nothing and everything, all the while being surrounded by music, mystery and the joy of discovery.
 
Today, I ventured to Mad City for one specific Record Store Day reason: to have a chance to meet none other than Butch Vig and Steve Marker of Garbage and as Producers of "The Smart Studios Story," the new documentary film about the legendary and now defunct Madison based recording studio which was set to premiere at the Wisconsin Film Festival on this same weekend.
After saying a fast "Hello" to Dave Zero, I was told to find my spot in the already forming line outside of the store if I was interested in the Meet & Greet. I proceeded to do just as he instructed and was leased to spend my time waiting in healthy conversation with a long lost friend from my bookstore clerk days during the 1990's who was also waiting in line. 

It is here that I have to offer my most gracious thanks to Dave and the entire staff of Mad City Music Exchange as they handled this event beautifully, skillfully and so efficiently. They were entirely upon their game and the event went off without a hitch whatsoever...or if there were any hiccups, they were not evident to me at all. If any of the other people in line were anything like myself, I am certain that there was much nervous energy in the air and Mad City ensured that the event ran smoothly.

Before I had even realized, Vig and Marker alongside the film's Director and Madison resident Wendy Schneider, had all arrived and taken their places by a table next to the store's entrance. 
Finally, I made my entrance into the store and shook both gentleman's hands and proclaimed what an honor it was to meet them at last. After autographing my promotional cassette soundtrack to the film which Mad City had distributed to us earlier, I asked if it would be acceptable to have a photo taken with them and they graciously obliged (as I grinned like a buffoon while they elicited their finest grim rock star poses).
Afterwards, I took a moment to speak with Schneider about her film which I was unfortunately unable to see at the Festival but hoped would somehow find another Madison screening in the near future. She joked that she would love to find a venue where it could play on an endless loop. I laughed and then moved along my way as the line of fans was lengthy. And then, I ended up spending the remainder of my Record Store Day wandering around the record store, finally deciding to pick up a copy of Brian Eno and David Byrne's reissued classic "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" (released February 1981). 

Soon, the excitement waned and the environment in the store became more relaxed and casual. Vig, marker and Schneider were still within Mad City speaking with fans yet the overall vibe was so low-key, that you hardly noticed them at all--possibly how they would have preferred and in essence, truly representative of the Madison record store scene and attitude.
By now, the time was around 5 p.m. and the day had been a wonderful one without question. As I have been writing this reflection, it has occurred to me even moreso that over the past year, I have been chronicling my time within the Madison music community without entirely knowing what that community was..or at least the variety and complete fullness of this community.

I am seeing that the Madison music community is not simply centered around the musicians, who of course, are essential. But our music community, like all other music communities around the country consists of the local radio stations and the DJs, the recording studios, the concert halls and bars that house live music events, and I would gather, the writers of printed and electronic media that journals about the music and so crucially, the record stores and their owners and staffs for everything comes together within those walls and flows inwards and outwards from those walls. If we took all of the record stores out of the equation, I firmly believe that so much of this specialized community would crumble for where else would be the very place where music lovers can congregate to seek, find, learn and experience the music that encompasses our lives? I am unable to imagine my life without all of the time that I have spent inside of record stores and how nearly all of the music that I now cherish emerged from these locations that are sacred to me.

THANK YOU to Steve Manley and B-Side, to Dave Zero and the entire Mad City Music Exchange staff for existing at the epicenter of our wonderful music community. Long may it run...for Record Store Day and for every day hereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment