Wednesday, April 1, 2015

WSPC SESSION NOTES FOR APRIL 2015: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

"I believe that the power of the record store to inspire is still alive and well, and that their importance to our next generation of musicians is crucial. Take an afternoon (and some hard earned lawn mowing money) and please support them.

You never know, it may change your life forever, too."
-Dave Grohl 2015 Record Store Day Ambassador

I agree 1000%!!

Yes, dear readers and listeners, it is that time of the year again, a day that I do hold very close to my spirit (even if the specialty released items are just too much for my personal finances to handle). Saturday, April 18th is indeed the day where I sincerely hope that all of you take some time to head out and venture into a local business, in this case, your neighborhood record store, just for nothing else but to bask in the sense of community and discovery that is inherent to an establishment like the record store.

I know that I have expressed to you many times on this site how influential the record store has been for me throughout my life and if any of those words have ever meant a whit to any of you, I sincerely hope that you do take the plunge for yourselves--for those who have never experienced the record store or for those who have not set foot inside of one for a long time. I really believe that for those people, if you could just see the excitement and joy that exists with people responding so powerfully to music--the listening, the seeking and finding and the collecting--the emotions will be palpable to you and completely unlike a more solitary experience of listening to a streaming service.

Pick up an album and feel the weight of the music in your hands. Turn the record jacket over and read the liner notes and song titles or just gaze at the artwork which really does become and feel to be larger than life, especially after years and years of viewing the same items upon small computer screens. Just go inside and talk to people. We're a friendly bunch, trust me. For we just love music and cannot wait to share what we love with others and to be inspired in turn by an excited soul standing right in front of us.

A special day with a powerful sense of purpose to retain human connection and to reclaim the artistic value of something that has been so devalued in recent years. Record Store Day! See what you can find. And when you do find it, remember to...

PLAY LOUD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment