Tuesday, April 21, 2015

RECORD STORE DAY AT B-SIDE RECORDS FEATURING POST SOCIAL: APRIL 18, 2015

"The arts are the most elaborate and most precise social network ever invented, but if it's going to work properly, you have to get out of the house sometimes and show who you are and what you love. You have to go to shows and galleries and bookstores, you have to ask for what you want out loud...So maybe we need those record-store guys; maybe the reason so many of them are still around is that, without them, the whole system grinds to a halt. If you own all the music ever recorded in the entire history of the world, then who are you? Those people queuing outside their local independent on Record Store Day want to be known."
-NICK HORNBY

What a glorious day it was!

It was a late morning/early afternoon filled with abundant sunshine and a temperature of just under 70 degrees and it felt and looked as if the entire city of Madison, WI was outdoors. Around the State Capitol building, the annual Farmer's Market began its season bringing droves upon droves of citizens to walk the circular path around the Capitol Square for all manner of culinary delights. Upon entering a coffee establishment plus the wonderful Marigold Kitchen to pick up some brunch, my friends at both locations all felt the shock to their respective systems after dealing with the full onslaught of customers returning in full force after a quiet winter and early spring season.

Traffic was bumper to bumper and yet, smiles were everywhere to be seen. For me, and before I ventured to that aforementioned coffee establishment and Marigold Kitchen, I knew that I had to make a pit stop at B-Side Records to pay my respects for this year's edition of Record Store Day. In addition,  B-Side proprietor Steve Manley had previously informed me that both Modern Mod and Post Social would be performing LIVE and for FREE just a stone's throw away from the store at the small Peace Park on State Street.
Ahhhh...Record Store Day, the annual event where music fans and collectors actually queue up outside record stores before fully opening for the day for the opportunity to band together in the community of music fandom...and yes, to also see if they can get their hands upon those specially released items that are of small quantity and exclusive to that specific day only. 

Yes, there are those who feel that the event has become something disingenuous, a day that really does not serve independent record stores and music fans accordingly and honestly. Perhaps, there is some validity to those sentiments and maybe, as one article suggested, Record Store Day should eventually become a monthly event, therefore, keeping the spotlight upon independent records stores for the full year instead of just one day. But no matter to any of the criticism. When I walked into B-Side and saw it packed with people all perusing the stacks of vinyl and CDs, it just made my heart smile, as all I saw was a celebration of music and the community that loves this unique sense of discovery and connection.
As for the added attractions of Modern Mod and Post Social, well, traffic was so bumper to bumper that I missed Modern Mod's performance entirely--something that would normally make me growl profusely--but all was indeed not lost whatsoever as I approached Peace Park to the textured, intricate yet raucous sounds that were unmistakably from Post Social. While it was close to the conclusion of their set, I was so thrilled to finally be able to see this band in action, the band that has surprised me so much and had created my "go-to" album ever since I purchased it in late December 2014.
And there they were, lead singer/guitarist Mitch Deitz, singer Siv Earley, bassist Sam Galligan, guitarist/singer Shannon Connor and drummer Brendan Manley, performing live and loudly to a healthy crowd that had gathered to observe (and to also fill their guitar case with monetary tokens of appreciation).
As with their debut self-titled album, I continued to be so very impressed with the band as they exuded such a seasoned cohesiveness that merged terrifically with their youthful exuberance and unabashed joy. Deitz, who was all smiles, made for a most confidant frontman,whether addressing the audience, singing powerfully into the mic or leaping off the Peace Park stones like a true rock star hero. Earley, also cut a captivating presence as she vibrantly danced along during some song's complex, instrumental passages but most certainly through her shining vocals. Where she sounded ghostly upon the album, Earley exuded some palpable force which ensured that she stood confidently and melodically while singing alongside Deitz.
In contrast to the more mobile energy presented by Mitch Deitz and Siv Earley, Shannon Connor cut a more reticent and almost brooding figure that belied the inventive and often stinging guitar leads that burst outwards into the audience like fireworks.
Additionally, Sam Galligan appeared as a more stoic figure, whose quiet stature worked in contrast to the propulsive and fluid melodicism of his bass playing. In a subtle way, I couldn't help but to wonder if his stage presence essentially makes him Post Social's version of The Who's late, great bassist John Entwistle. (I wonder what he'd say to that comparison...)
Finally, I turn my attention towards Brendan Manley, whose Father owns B-Side Records, and who also introduced me to the music of both Post Social and Modern Mod in the first place. Unquestionably packing a wallop, Manley's drumming is clean, crisp, precise, and filled with an athleticism and speed that propels the music skillfully. During one selection, which I have been informed is a newer composition (the band reportedly writes new material consistently and I really hope they record this one down the road), I am unsure how or when Manley was able to go from holding two sticks to play the snare and ride cymbal, to holding a shaker in one hand while still pummeling the snare, then go back to two sticks and again return to the shaker so seemingly effortlessly and without missing a beat.
While I only caught three songs from the band, including the vast "Something In The Water" from the album, an untitled instrumental plus the aforementioned new song, it was precisely what I had wanted to see for several months now and it only made me anxious to witness and experience a complete set. Post Social are definitely the real deal!

Now it was time for me to officially introduce myself and I immediately ventured over to Brendan Manley, who so kindly embraced me as I extended my hand out to him. "You're our biggest fan!" he said to me, smiling warmly from ear to ear, while standing and extending himself to his full, great height. And after meeting the remaining band members, all of whom were equally warm as well as openly gracious and genuine, I was just happy to have the opportunity to express to them face-to-face just how much I love their album, how excited and proud I am for them and how much I await to hear new material from them.
Which then leads me to this lovely young lady pictured above. Dear readers and listeners, this is Emily Massey, lead singer and guitarist for Modern Mod. After the Post Social set, Massey walked around outside of B-Side with a box of FREE vinyl 45 singles of her band, to which she was greeted by quite a number of willing takers, including myself. After introducing myself, we spoke briefly, again with me giving her some well deserved praise regarding her band's terrific album, as well as promising her that I would definitely see Modern Mod live this summer. Massey practically gushed in appreciation and even moreso when she explained to me how the members of both bands are indeed great friends who thoroughly enjoy being able to play together...something she feels they have not been able to do as much as she would love.

This is the spirit that has adorned Record Store Day each and every year that I have been able to make a brief pilgrimage and witness the enthusiasm, eagerness and passion that always ensures that music itself it treated as it should be treated: as a legitimate art form that deserves to be celebrated, nurtured and even nourished. It is with my most sincerest thanks that I extend to B-Side Records, plus Madson's very own Mad City Music Exchange, Strictly Discs and Sugar Shack for remaining steadfast during a period when the independent record stores have grown more obsolete and survival is tenuous.

Yet, in a recent interview given to the local and free Madison weekly newspaper the Isthmus, Steve Manley proclaimed that the resurgence in vinyl is what has truly saved B-Side Records from extinction. In fact, the survival of our independent record stores is due to the effort and essence of community and solidarity. From the store owners to the music fans to the musicians and round and around again, we all contribute to this experience and trust me, if you haven't ventured to one of your local record stores recently, I insist that you just stop in sometime and just browse and allow yourself to become inspired to support a local business, which in turn supports an art form that truly demands attention these days. You just may be surprised!
HAPPY RECORD STORE DAY 2015!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment