Sunday, August 24, 2014

NOW PLAYING IN THE SAVAGE JUKEBOX AUGUST 2014

"THE MORNING LASTED ALL DAY: A RETROSPECTIVE"
THE DREAM ACADEMY
Released July 29, 2014
-The WLHA Resurrection/Reunion weekend made me return to this band whom I really cherished the most during high school when their debut album was released. This NEW 2 disc compilation album simply took me back to the literate/ornate/orchestrated and undeniably English pop songcraft that sticks so closely to my heart.

"VAPOR TRAILS"
RUSH
Released May 14, 2002
-This was the first album the bad released after a six year hiatus prompted by the tragic deaths of drummer/lyricist Neil Peart's wife and daughter within the same year. My Grandfather's sudden passing in July has left me feeling a sense of anger with the universe and its unfairness at times and this album's raging grief is what I needed to hear.

"WHATEVER"
AIMEE MANN
Released May 11, 1993
"REVOLVER"
THE BEATLES
Released August 5, 1966
-Released 48 years ago and STILL ahead of its time.
"RUNT: THE BALLAD OF TODD RUNDGREN"
TODD RUNDGREN
Released June 24, 1971

"ADORE"
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
Released June 2, 1998
-I am really looking forward to the deluxe remastered release this year of this highly underrated album, which just might be the finest album the band ever recorded.
"TUSK"
FLEETWOOD MAC
Released October 12, 1979
-Received as a Christmas gift in 1979. Shelved until the Summer of 1987. Not fully embraced until sometime in the 1990's. One of their finest albums...PERIOD...and STILL ahead of its time.
"THE BEATLES"
THE BEATLES
Released November 22, 1968
-Writer/Director Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" brought me here. Not that there are any Beatle songs in the film (although there is a plot driven Beatles reference) but the film, among many other memories, made me think of childhood days, so long ago when I would obsessively listen to their albums over and again. This album was one I listened to more than most and it has remained my 2nd favorite Beatles album.
"DONUTS"
J DILLA
Released February 7, 2006

-I wrote extensively about this album in December 2013 and after listening to Madlib's albums, I found myself returning to this masterpiece.
"FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH"
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Released July 30, 1982
-Finding comfort in the past.
"FUTURE GAMES"
FLEETWOOD MAC
Released September 3, 1971
-One of my favorite albums...EVER!
"16 LOVERS LANE"
THE GO-BETWEENS
Released August 1988
"OP TOP ZOO WAH"
ADRIAN BELEW
Released September 24, 1996
 

"I AM BACK TO BLOW YOUR MIND ONCE AGAIN"
PETER BUCK
Released February 18, 2014
-As this month draws to a close, I have begun checking out the 2nd solo album from now former R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, his latest vinyl only release which I have appropriated through the means of the internet file sharing (shhhhhh!) as my beloved little cat Jada ate through my record player speaker wires many years ago, making my turntable unusable. Like his self-titled debut, which I heard via You Tube, this new album is another blast of guitar driven, garage rock with Buck's vocals that are more than reminiscent of the gravelly, throaty growl of Tom Waits. I haven't gotten very far with it at this time of writing but it is a road I am more than curious to return to.
Stay tuned to this station to see what will spin in the jukebox in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment