Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WSPC'S BLACK MUSIC MONTH TRIBUTE #2: THE ART OF THE ALBUM AND THE EUPHORIA OF STEVIE WONDER

     "Well, the reality is, black music is all of it. Because basically, you have black people who sing country, like Charley Pride, and in classical, like Wynton Marsalis. You've got Leontyne Prince. You got Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, you've got--come on, what can I say? You've got the aborigines, who basically sing country as well. You've got everything. And it's only natural that it's that way, in that we are the first known civilization on earth. Black culture was the first.
     As long as a person respects and appreciates their culture, that's all you can ask of them. But when you know that something can work and feels right 'cause it's good, and somebody says no, I won't do it because it's white, or I won't do it because it's black, they got a problem in their own heads. It is not a problem in my keyboards."
  -STEVIE WONDER, from a May 1988 interview in Musician magazine

On May 13, 1950, Steveland Hardaway Judkins, whom 11 years later would be known to the universe as Stevie Wonder, entered the world. And yet, it feels as if there has never been a time when he was not a part of the world. Logically, I do understand how Stevie Wonder was not always a part of the world and one day, he will again not be. But, much like my parents, and the sun and the sky itself, Stevie Wonder has always felt to me to be so ever present, so permanent, so always, that I cannot even begin comprehend a time when the world will ever be without him.

Very recently, I returned to my parent's home to visit my Father who has been enduring the unfortunate up and down cycle of ailing, recovering, ailing and recovering once more. During a lull when he was resting (and also to escape the stifling level of heat in the home due to my Father, now much more frail than when I was younger, who constantly experiences feeling chilled or even cold no matter the actual temperature), I retired to the basement, much as I did during my upbringing, for solitude. This time, more than any other, I began to recognize the connections between my Father and myself in regards to our passionate love of music. For him, mostly, it is through the art form of jazz but throughout his stacks of meticulously organized vinyl, you can find all sorts of artists and most certainly, you will be able to find several albums by Stevie Wonder.

As I look backwards, I realize that it was Stevie Wonder who first taught me how to indulge myself within the art of the album, an art I feel that has never truly been appreciated as art and certainly not now as albums aren't being purchased as they once were. Before Stevie Wonder, there had been some experiences with recorded music that has burrowed their way into my musical being. Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (released October 5, 1973) was one that captured me at an extremely early age. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" (released February 4, 1977) and The Eagles "Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)" (released February 17, 1976), which my family had on 8 track, played endlessly in the car wherever and whenever we traveled. And once I embraced The Beatles along with Queen and Electric Light Orchestra, I listened to and explored albums to often obsessive levels. But, as I think about it even more, and especially during our over-stimulated and extremely accelerated times, the art of the album, where the entire experience was nothing more than the act of listening, was a gift given to me by Stevie Wonder.

I remember countless days and nights laying sprawled on the floor of my parent's basement listening to Stevie Wonder's  magnum opus "Songs In The Key Of Life" (released September 28, 1976), a double album with accompanying four track EP entitled "A Something's Extra," reading the giant 24 page booklet that was essentially a libretto, and doing absolutely nothing else but what I had just described.
"Songs In The Key Of Life"-My Father's personal copy

I could listen all afternoon. I could listen all night. I could listen, listen, listen and ask for nothing more for the Wonder's music satiated me so completely. Could we have that experience today? And furthermore, is there music of this seismic quality being made today that would captivate and hold us enraptured so tightly and warmly for such and extended period of time in the first place? I'm not sure.

Look...there will always be great music and there will always be terrible music. But the music that Stevie Wonder has given to us is of the rarest quality. Please do take some time as you read this to slow down and just think of the musical legacy of Stevie Wonder and remember how his voice, so empathetic and so athletic, makes you feel. How his songwriting, production, musical virtuosity and artistic independence made music for the ages, transcending every musical genre and racial barrier. Stevie Wonder is not a figure to solely celebrate during Black Music Month. Steve Wonder is an artist to be celebrated for each and every day we are able to wake up, rise and breathe due to his art, artistry, political activism, adherence to social justice, and utopian vision of humanity for all. We are so much better for having him.

For the purposes of this posting, I have a request to make of you, especially for those of you who have come of age in the music downloading era. I want for all of you reading to carve out some time to just...listen. I insist that you find any album from what is widely considered to be his classic period, the stage at which he was fully emancipated from the Motown formula and was able to let his musical soul wander, roam and invigorate all who chose to listen. Find "Music Of My Mind" (released March 3, 1972) or "Talking Book" (released October 28, 1972)...
 
...or find "Innervisions" (released August 3, 1973) or "Fulfillingness' First Finale" (released July 22, 1974)...
  
...or the aforementioned "Songs In The Key Of Life" or even the avant garde, mostly instrumental and synthetically symphonic double album "Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants" (released October 30, 1979)...
  
...and just LISTEN!!!! 

Do not turn on your television. Do not go on-line. Do not have any other stimuli in front of you other than the artifacts contained within the album itself, from the artwork, jacket, lyric sheet, liner notes and just LISTEN!!! And then, as you listen, then see where the music takes you!

Maybe this is a conceptual stretch but I am going to try and reach for it regardless. I am wondering if perhaps through Stevie Wonder's blindness and being unable to connect to visual stimuli in the same way as myself and other seeing people, that his connection to the music itself is just that much more powerful and unfiltered. I cannot help but to ponder what vistas he has and continues to experience once he places his hands upon the piano, keyboards, synthesizers or grabs a pair of drum sticks to bash away. What does he "see" when he creates?

I know that whenever I have listened to Stevie Wonder's music, what I hear is a connection to music so pure and untainted that I feel that we are tapping into euphoria itself. I feel that when I hear Stevie Wonder's music, I am hearing not only the best of himself but the best of what we, as human beings, can possibly be if we only allowed ourselves to soar so highly. For Black Music Month, and for all time, I celebrate one of the greatest that we have ever been blessed to have. Stevie Wonder is a musical monument. This towering musical figure, who, as far as I am concerned, made some of the best albums ever created is deserving of the fullest of our attention for if we give his music that commitment, maybe we just may be able to see what he "sees."

And in doing so, the world will never, ever be without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment