Saturday, June 1, 2013

WSPC SESSION NOTES FOR JUNE 2013


FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

I have to admit, last month almost did me in!

Serving double duty with Synesthesia and Savage Cinema has proven to be no easy feat, despite my passionate love for them both. I think it falls into two sets of reasoning. First of all, and as I expressed to you at this site's inception, I simply do not watch movies every day whereas I listen to music every single day, thus providing me with copious amounts of potential content. Secondly, the Liner Notes feature did prove to be overwhelming to keep up with and did provide me with a sense of self-imposed pressure that I just don't think would be healthy for this site to exist in the right way. And, I am also still trying to figure out exactly how I want Synesthesia to function in the best fashion.

So, initiating the "On This Day In Music" feature will help significantly (at least for a year--because I just wouldn't run it the exact same way, celebrating and commemorating the exact same musical milestones within the same format). I think this would make the Liner Notes less daunting to tackle. Every song does indeed have its own personal story but in all honesty, I just do not physically have the fullness of time at my disposal to write them all for you in one big monthly swoop. I'll have to spread them out as Synesthesia is a place for celebration and fun. This site should NEVER become a chore and if it ever did, I'd shut it down. And that is something that ain't gon' happen!

This month is extremely special for me as WSPC presents its 2nd Annual Tribute to Black Music Month!!! While the fullness of the tribute will be reflected in the actual playlist and not through every posting on Synesthesia, what I hope to reveal to you is clear: that the history and musical contributions of black people around the world to the medium of music should never go unnoticed and that rhythm and blues, soul music, jazz, hip-hop and yes, ROCK AND ROLL would not be where they are today without the art and artistry black people gave to each and every one of them. It is an education and celebration that is on-going for myself and I hope that you will be able to see the love I have through every song selection and posting I publish here. Black Music Month is all about the journey and the discovery and if through my journey I can help you discover something new and most importantly, vice versa, then all of these magical, musical dreams  of all these musical heroes will never fade from the world.

I do have some plans to celebrate some key figures in Black Music Month but I'll hold those cards close to my chest. Additionally, and unrelated to the tribute, there are perhaps, two features I wish to bring you, one of which is a long planned rundown of albums this DJ has been listening to throughout 2013 so far.

So...as always,.grab the mic, your guitars and sticks, plug in, tune up and sing and PLAY ON...

No comments:

Post a Comment