Friday, April 19, 2013

INTRODUCTION TO WSPC'S LINER NOTES

The art of the album is not solely contained within the music itself and the artists who create said music. For me, it is also housed deeply inside the physical album itself, from the lyric sheet, design and album artwork and most certainly, the liner notes.

Liner notes are actually one of my most favorite aspects of the album's artistry--something that has truly been lost within our digital era--because throughout my life, I have been so enthralled to read through the musician credits, the amounts of "Special Thanks" from the artist to whomever, and in some cases, actual notes from the artist or band themselves concerning information and inspirations about the songs as I listen to the music itself, feeling the words and sounds coalesce magically, seamlessly and completely.

For Synesthesia, I introduce you to a specialized series that is designed to approximate those liner notes by entitling this in the most obvious fashion. So...welcome to WSPC'S LINER NOTES!

This series may arrive once or twice a month and it will be a place of sheer exhalation for music I am currently listening to, birthday announcements of artists as well as recorded works, memorials for those who have passed on within the month and so on.

I hope that the enthusiasm and love contain within will be palpable to all of you and if anything I write about with honor inspires you to grab a record, cassette, or CD, or to turn on your radio (preferably satellite, public or student radio these days) or to perhaps race to your instrument of choice, that will make me so very, very happy.

Play onwards, dear listeners. Play on....

No comments:

Post a Comment