Tuesday, June 2, 2020

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES JUNE 2020


FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK...AT HOME:

"Sign O' the times
Mess with your mind
Hurry before it's too late..."
-"Sign O' The Times"
PRINCE

The times we are in...

I am really unsure as to how much I really want to get into upon this page and opening to the month, but that being said, I have had enough and I am truly so, so tired.

I am tired of being dehumanized.
I am tired of watching the nation dehumanize people like me.
I am tired of seeing people like me being murdered for no other reason than we have been dehumanized.

I am tired to having to fight for my own humanity in words and deeds meant to deflect either overt racism or the micro-aggressions of others.
I am tired of having to mask the purity of my emotions, reality and experiences for the benefit of others' comfort, because truthfully, I am not here to ensure your comfort just as much as I am not here to make you feel uncomfortable. 
I am tired of having to reassure you in order to protect your sense of White fragility while denying my own sense of self-preservation in the face of White indifference or hostility. 

I am tired of feeling afraid.
I am tired of being misrepresented.
I am tired of being judged not for the content of my character but always for the color of my skin.
I am tired of having to discover and sometimes invent new means of interacting, inter-facing, and code-switching just to survive. 
I am tired of the anxiety.
I am tired of sometimes having so much anger but having nowhere to reveal or release it for fear of being viewed as the "angry Black man" and not having my emotions and experiences validated as being as real as those of my White counterparts.

I am tired of mining my life to explain it to you just to show you that my life matters. 
I am tired of having to assert that my life and the lives of people like me are worth more than property.
I am tired of having to say again and again that Black Lives Matter.

I am tired of so many things...just so tired.

The events of this past week, all of which stemming from the murder of George Floyd at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department, have filled me with a cauldron of emotions and feelings all aligned alongside each other. Combine all of that with the on-going COVID-19 global pandemic and the cesspool of our Government, led by the wannabe dictator, it is a time that I have nothing to compare it with in my own lifetime.

NOTHING.

All I can do is really keep placing one foot in front of the other and keep moving forwards, while remaining vigilant, speaking my truth, and in the case of WVMO, keep utilizing my voice through the music I play.

June is Black Music Month and as I have done with each year  of Savage Radio, I hold a tribute to the month by playing the work of Black artists exclusively. As the studio has been closed due to the pandemic, I have already recorded the two episodes, nearly two hours worth of programming in tribute to this month. As both shows were created before the George Floyd murder, I am surprised with how potent the episodes feel to my ears, as these shows seem to carry a greater urgency than in years past...as well as they should. 

The first show will air tomorrow night and I am anxious for you to hear what I came up with, for I am hoping you can hear my personal feelings through the songs and the musical story that I am hoping to weave and then, the second week...I am proud of them. I hope you receive them as intended.

For now, I have no answers and how could I? If I don't, how could you, for that matter? 

If finding a better way, a better system, a better sense of justice, a better nation and a better co-existence is important to you, then, let's do what we can to make that happen...by any means necessary. 

PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment