Saturday, March 7, 2020

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES MARCH 2020: THE RISE OF DISQ

DISQ
(l -r Brendan Manley, Raina Bock, Isaac de Broux-Slone, Shannon Connor, Logan Severson)

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:
The day has arrived. It is finally here and I could not be happier for these young artists are more than deserving.

It has been a hair over five years since I began exploring and writing about the current crop of musicians that make up the music community here in Madison, WI,  Beginning with Post Social and the now defunct Modern Mod, this journey has consistently proven itself to being as illuminating as well as superbly entertaining as band after band has released (and often self-released) highly original works that each showcase the commitment, talent, drive, tenacity, ingenuity, innovation and most importantly, the joy and wonder of being able to write, perform, produce and deliver musical artistry to any listeners ready and willing to hear something profoundly new.

This journey also led me to see how this community is not limited to the bands themselves but how their existence is symbiotic with the venues and businesses that allow them to hone their chops in live musical settings, plus the local record stores who may sell their albums and the local community radio stations that assist with giving these bands exposure.

It has been a privilege to write about these people and this community as well as have the opportunities to feature members upon Savage Radio, either through their songs and sometimes with on-air interviews. As far as my own perceptions are concerned, I sometimes question or even fear if my enthusiasm might be the result of their proximity to myself.  There is an aspect of being in a vacuum, playing these songs for myself or to what I feel to be are a few friends, experiencing things either on my own or within the confines of the Madison community.

It is a scene that is of us and so it feels as if it is solely ours to experience. Not in a possessive way but something that feels that we are the only people who may know about what is happening. And so, does it affect my judgement? I am conscious of this but what speaks the loudest of all is how these artists, time and again, have proven themselves to me so explosively because they do indeed deliver everything that I love about music itself and the purity in which it is all created, especially as Madison is a city that is far from any sense of the music business industry, therefore lessening expectations and existing firmly in inspiration.

Now, I turn my attention to Disq, originally a duo made up of Isaac de Broux-Slone and Raina Bock, two superbly talented songwriters/musicians who released a stellar work during their high school years entitled "Disq 1" (released July 11, 2016). By the time I had heard of them, Disq already possessed a healthy reputation as they had gained a coveted opening act position for the band Whitney's tour stop in Madison at the Majestic Theater.

I read about the band at the time in the local free weekly newspaper the Isthmus, which then inspired me to check out "Disq 1" on their Bandcamp page, which then inspired me to reach out to Modern Mod/Dash Hounds singer, songwriter, bassist, guitarist Alivia Kleinfeldt for any info about Disq, which then inspired me to reach out to Isaac de Broux-Slone (as I was first listening to the album at that) and by this point I was on my way (and see how this sense of community worked out?).

As with their contemporaries, I continued to experience their pursuits from the sidelines, seeing them perform whenever I was able to do so, promoting them whenever I was able to do so as well and all the while cheering them on as they marched forwards one song at a time.

Yet, it was last year when both Disq and Madison's, but now Chicago based, Slow Pulp both had opportunities to play at the SXSW Festival and it was not terribly long afterwards when I felt a certain shift upwards. Te indie music press reviews for both bands were strong but I distinctly remember a review of Disq's performance, which I think was in Paste, a publication I have read for years upon years, that literally brought tears to my eyes!

I began to tear up because, and obviously, I was so happy for the band but also because, I knew that what I felt to be was existing in a vacuum has punctured far outward from it and what I responded to so powerfully was being responded to in the exact same way. That sense of validation and vindication filled my heart and made me cheer even louder for this band as I only wish for their dreams to be fully realized because they have the goods and they are so deserving due to the fact they are all good, genuine people.

Since I was first introduced to the band, Disq has expanded from the original duo into a quintet, now featuring songwriter, singer, guitarist, keyboardist Shannon Connor (Post Social), singer, songwriter, guitarist Logan Severson (the still gestating Lameena) and drummer Brendan Manley (Post Social, Dash Hounds, Squarewave, Modern Mod). 

They have been signed to the Saddle Creek label, toured extensively, including overseas in England, filmed two wonderful music videos, participated in professional photo shoots, conducted a variety of interviews, have billboards displaying their faces, received radio airplay upon the BBC and oh yes, recorded a full length album last Summer in Los Angeles under the production leadership of Rob Schnapf (Beck, Guided By Voices, Saves The Day, The Anniversary, Tokyo Police Club, Elliot Smith and more) which was just released March 6, 2020 entitled "COLLECTOR."

Several days ago, four of the five members of Disq were guests upon Savage Radio as a means to preview and celebrate the new album and despite what I presume to being a whirlwind around them, they were the same as I had always known them to being. Shy, introverted, fiercely intelligent, empathetic people who also  happen to be enormously skilled in their chosen art. I love them as artists and I love them as people and I sincerely hope that know, understand and will accept my friendship as being just one more person in their corner rooting for them.

As I think of my hopes and wishes for this band as they continue their ascent, which will include more touring and subsequently, more albums under their Saddle Creek deal, that they remain friends in an experience which will house more than its moments of stress and unpredictability, that they enjoy this ride for as long as it lasts for nothing is promised, they they remain fearlessly inventive artists who will make more music in the future, that they take immense pride in what they have already achieved and that this unforgiving industry does not hurt them.

Honestly...Please don't hurt my friends.

But for now, "Collector" by Disq is officially in the world and while I will write extensively about the albumin the near future, what I will tell you now is that I graciously implore you to race out and get it for it is the real deal...

...and when you get it...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment