Saturday, March 2, 2019

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES MARCH 2019: WORDS FOR PETER

PETER TORK
FEBRUARY 13, 1942-FEBRUARY 21, 2019

The Monkees were my first favorite band.

They were the first band I ever loved. The first band I ever became obsessed with. The first band who meant the entire universe to me. And because of that profound, intense, everlasting love, it absolutely pained me to the point of tears to read the news on February 21st, that Peter Tork, singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist and actor from the Emmy Award wining musical comedy television series "The Monkees" had passed away due to complications from adenoid cystic carcinoma, a rare form of cancer.

He was 77 years old.

My introduction to The Monkees arrived as if from a bolt of lightning when I was perhaps 6 years old. I remember having a visit at my Grandparents' home, and for some reason, I ended up within their dining room, seated in a plastic covered arm chair (it was the '70's folks), doing nothing at all. Maybe I was bored. Maybe I was stewing about something or another in the very way that happens for small children. But for whatever the reason, I was busy doing absolutely, positively nothing...until, my cousin Adam (my forever "big brother") entered the room and asked me a fateful, date with destiny question:

"Hey Scott!! You wanna watch 'The Monkees'?"

Not knowing exactly what he was talking about, I answered his question with a most logical question:

"Why do I want to see a bunch of chimps?"

 Undeterred, Adam proclaimed, "No! Not those monkeys! These Monkees! Come on!"

And so I went, because I would have followed Adam anywhere because I loved him so (and I still do) and also, as he would prove to me over and again throughout our lives, he was absolutely right as what I was about to see would change the course of my life.

Turning on Chicago's WFLD Channel 32, the show began and with those now iconic opening credits and its accompanying theme song, I was instantly hooked and ultimately transformed. The cavalcade of rapid fire images fusing slapstick comedy and rock and roll as presented through these four figures was akin to an adrenaline shot to the heart as I was firmly filled to the point of elation by the sights and sounds I was experiencing. It was unquestionably a line in the sand moment in my life--a time before and a time after I learned of The Monkees and how immediately I became attached to all four of them.

As an adult, I am continuously fathomed by the ingenuity of the show's producers and creators for their tenacity with the casting of these two musicians and two actors who would formulate, what Monkees singer, songwriter, drummer Mickey Dolenz would always describe as a television show about a band  and decidedly not a band that had a television show.

These were four individuals whose chemistry was electric, the proverbial lightning in a bottle as it is indeed that chemistry that would not only inform their creation into becoming a real band (like Pinocchio becoming a real boy as Dolenz also referenced over the years), but a collective that would ultimately endear themselves to generations upon generations of viewers and listeners, including inspiring new musicians and songwriters for over 50 years.  No small feat whatsoever for something that was "prefabricated."

Which takes me back to my childhood and that first viewing, as these people were so perfectly cast that their personas were brilliantly evokes and therefore cemented instantly. The late Davy Jones as the resident British heartthrob. The aforementioned Mickey Dolenz as the wild yet gentle anarchist. The wool hat wearing Michael Nesmith as the wry skeptic.

And then, there was Peter Tork...the innocent, the ingenue, the clown, the tender fool, the child in us all.

Just go to You Tube and watch those opening credits again and really pay attention to the portion during which all four Monkees are incorrectly identified by the wrong name on screen and accompanied with the perfect reaction shots to the mistakes and corrections. Everyone is first misidentified as Peter to which Peter Tork reacts with confusion, disappointment, then a wailing wall of tears and then, at last, finally, blessed euphoria.

I was a 6 year old child and connected to that completely for it was so easily understood and in doing so, I was won over entirely, as I would imagine for so many viewers over the years because with Peter Tork, we felt compassion, we felt protective, we felt love because his persona was the purest of them all. He was The Monkees' Ringo Starr, their Harpo Marx and through his projected innocence, we tapped into our own and loved him that much more--even when he destructed his own image within The Monkees' brilliant, hallucinogenic, far ahead of its time musical satire motion picture Director Bob Rafelson's "Head" (1968).

In addition to his skills as a comedic actor, who famously accompanied none other than his then roommate Stephen Stills to the audition for the television show, Peter Tork was a seriously accomplished musician before he was cast and did indeed place his indelible stamp upon The Monkees' musical legacy, despite having the least lead vocals. Yes, he gave it all he had on the terrific haunted house mash that is "Your Auntie Grizelda" and it is also his rich voice that adds that superb bit of soul to "Words" and so beautifully, the pensive existentialism of the mournful "Shades Of Grey" and the stunning, heartfelt deep cut "Come On In."

As a multi-instrumentalist, it is his piano that opens "Daydream Believer." It is his wistful, pastoral banjo picking that glides through "You Told Me." And of course, there are his songwriting skills that cannot go unheralded as he co-wrote or wrote Monkees selections including the glorious "For Pete's Sake" (which was utilized as the end credits theme song during season 2 of the program), the speed rap jazz freakout "Goin' Down," the psychedelic journeys that are indeed "Can You Dig It?" and "Long Title: Do I Have To This All Over Again?," the goofy spoken word tricks and treats of "Zilch" and "Peter Percival Patterson's Pet Pig Porky" and in his later years as The Monkees reunited for more albums and tours, the beautiful "I Believe In You," "Little Girl," "Wasn't Born To Follow" and "A Better World."

Of course, we all know that The Monkees was not a "real" band in any traditional sense. But for that matter, what is a "real" band anyway? What I do know is that The Monkees have endured tremendously and that they endeared themselves to all of us through their unabashed joy, enthusiasm, humor and an enormity of heart. Peter Tork in particular embodied this overwhelming generosity of spirit through such an unassuming grace and gentleness that belied and enhanced his formidable skills, always quietly reminding us of his abilities even as we held him so closely to our own hearts.

It always warmed me to see him, as he exuded warmth during his Monkees television heydey as well as many years later during footage of reunion tours and television appearances and rare interviews as he consistently showcased a personality that felt to be devoid of ego and perhaps a bit bemused at the continuing adoration and attention. Essentially, and deceptively simple to achieve, Peter Tork made me feel happy and in turn, all I could ever hope for was that he felt just as happy in his life. There was no way that I could have ever wanted for anything more for him after all of the uplift his existence in the world gave to me and I have this feeling that as you think of him now, you may be feeling something similar.

Upon the news of his passing, reading the words of tribute and sadness from the now two surviving members of The Monkees, Mickey Dolenz and Michael Nesmith, it really hit me at this point of how closely bonded these men actually were and completely despite the initial arrangement of their union.

"There are no words right now...heartbroken over the loss of my Monkee brother, Peter Tork, " wrote Dolenz. As for Nesmith, he composed a tribute that spoke volumes to me as it felt to address  directly why we embraced The Monkees and Peter Tork so emphatically.

"Peter Tork died this AM. I am told he slipped away peacefully.

Yet, as I write this, my tears are awash, and my heart is  broken.  Even though I am clinging to the idea that we all continue, the pain that attends these passings has no cure. It's going to be a rough day.

I share with all Monkees fans this change, this "loss," even so.

PT will be a part of me forever. I have said this before--and now it seems even more apt--the reason we called it a band is because it was where we all went to play."

To play.  Yes indeed.  To play.

The joy of Peter Tork, from what he released and to what I experienced and felt every single time I saw and heard him was the very spirit of play that fully envelops childhood and by turn, the very spirit that is stifled upon adulthood. Peter Tork tapped into that inexplicable spirit throughout his career, igniting my own as a child, and rekindling it every single time I would re-watch an episode or listen to the music all over again.

In doing so, Peter Tork was my playmate and my friend for life. And I would gather that he was yours as well.

Through his death, it is, of course, yet another reminder that all things must pass. But I would also think that at this time, it is also a reminder to keep finding the things in life that allow us to experience that unfiltered glee that informs us to keep playing, to keep finding that space of innocence which encourages us to experience silliness and ridiculousness as well as imagination, creativity and wonder.

I don't know about you but Peter Tork exemplified that particular spirit to me, and I honestly wish for it to remain a part of me forever, especially as I keep remembering the very first time I ever saw him when I was a small child.

Thank you, Peter. For you deeply enriched my life.

   REST IN POWER

No comments:

Post a Comment