Saturday, September 1, 2018

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES SEPTEMBER 2018: THE BEGINNING IS THE END IS THE BEGINNING

FROM'S THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:
Changes are underfoot upon this blogsite...

Eagle eye readers may have noticed two seemingly small changes to the look of Synesthesia, yet they each represent one particularly big change to the overall focus of this on-line home that celebrates my love of music. First, underneath the name of this blogsite, where once was a reference to "WSPC," that has changed to my on-air real world radio handle plus WVMO, the equally real world radio station with which I am humbly and graciously affiliated. Secondly, with this specific posting, references to "WSPC" have been removed in favor of the blogsite name.

So..what happened? 

Well, dear readers and listeners, without getting into any specifics, life happened. Life, with all of its responsibilities have made me re-think the purpose of Synesthesia and what it could possibly be...at least, for the time being as I could easily revert back to how it has been for several years. I know this is all sounding cryptic but please know that I don't mean to be so cagey. I'll explain...

As I have always said to you, I am WSPC and WSPC is me. WSPC is the radio station that exists inside of my head, my fantasies, my dreams and it encases all of the music that has existed with me throughout the entirety of my life. I only "realize" such a station via the work of You Tube and Facebook, making playlists daily, weekly, monthly and then compiling all of the songs into the monthly playlists that close each's month's activities upon Synesthesia.

As of late, I have to say that I have been feeling a certain strain due to the busy nature of life.  There have been days upon days when I have not posted songs, or if I have it may be weeks before I compile them into the monthly playlists, also due to those aforementioned responsibilities which take up more time than I would wish.

Ultimately, thinking up songs to "play" and compile were beginning to feel like actual assignments rather than the joyous fun they originated as. And while I had been thinking about this for some time, this past week I made the decision to give WSPC a bit of a break. Not a hiatus. And it is not closing up shop either. WSPC is simply taking some time away and I will re-focus this site to serve as the on-line home for my real world radio pursuits, much like the blogs I have seen from real world DJs from long established stations, including my beloved WXRT-FM Chicago's Finest Rock!   

Synesthesia is really not going to change terribly much at all. I will still have my album explorations, concert reminisces, the monthly Savage Jukebox compilations as well as the compilations of all of the playlists through the month from my Savage Radio broadcasts upon WVMO. What will not continue is the WSPC playlist compilations and after I had made that decision, I honestly felt a weight lift mentally. It was then that I knew that I had made the right decision for myself.

So, what of WSPC? Would I never post songs again? No, of course not--especially during June's Black Music Month celebration, an event I am still passionately committed to continuing. I will still post songs but just if inspired to do so and if I am not inspired for weeks, then I am not...and that is possibly what I may need to do for some time.

In essence, WSPC is not going anywhere for as long as I live and breathe, it exists as well.  But, as a means of expression, I think that my radio adventures upon WVMO serve that purpose enormously. Things can change, of course. Yet for now, this feels good and right and will serve the music and my spirits better than over-usage and potential burnout.

And so, with all of the changes of the season, with Summer soon to mercifully end and for Autumn to blissfully begin, with school bells beginning to ring in a matter of days, this change to Synesthesia feels to be happening at the right time for the right reasons.

The music remains as much as it ever has and for you, as well as for me, keep listening, keep experiencing and always remember to....PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment