Thursday, July 5, 2018

WSPC SESSION NOTES FOR JULY 2018: MUSIC HEALS

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

"...I've thought of having children
But I've gone and changed my mind
It's hard enough to watch the news
Let alone explain it to a child
To cast your eye 'cross nature
Over fields of rape and corn
And tell him without flinching
Not to fear where he's been born


Then someone sat me down last night

And I heard Caruso sing
He's almost as good as Presley
And if I only do one thing
I'll sing songs to my father
I'll sing songs to my child
It's time to hold your loved ones
While the chains are loosed and the world
Runs wild..."

-"The Night I Heard Caruso Sing"
music and lyrics by Ben Watt

performed by Everything But The Girl (1988)

I have a friend who happens to be a prominent DJ in a major city. While we have not ever met in person, this DJ and I have formulated a very nice bond through social media and all manner of kind words and honest feelings have been delivered and reciprocated. Very recently, this DJ suffered a tremendous personal loss, one of the very hardest I would believe that any of us woud ever have to undertake...and truthfully, one that I personally fear greatly as I have not experienced it for myself as of yet but know very well that the time is nearer than further away. 

Anyhow, this DJ made a few mentions upon social media--not terribly many but enough where real world friends chimed in with their condolences and notices that they would be in contact shortly to assist with any needs. I sent a message or two of condolences myself and I plan to reach out again very soon. Yet, what was fascinating to me about this particular and extremely painful period for t his DJ was that this person continued to perform their on-air radio shifts without fail, and on a couple of occasions placed social media notices or photos during those shifts to express how much this time was personally needed and how healing it was...even if only for the time on-air spinning songs to the city, and via the internet, to the world. Once again, the music helped to heal.

I do realize that I am being cagey to the identity of this person and that is purposeful as to protect privacy. And besides, the identity of this person is not the point of this posting for you, and truthfully for me as well. The point is the again express the healing power that music has even when the thought of hearing or listening to music may be the furthest thing from our minds due to whatever pain we may be experiencing.

Yesterday was the 4th of July, America's Independence Day and while as an African-American I have had at least some conflicted feelings towards the day itself considering the history of the nation and the truth of how we know it came to pass. This year was truly a time when I was just unable to fathom any reason to celebrate as we have a racist, would-be fascist in the highest office of the land and children are being stripped from their parents to be locked in cages.

And then, I remembered this song by Everything But The Girl, whose lyrics are represented at the top of this piece, a song that is entirely about the redemptive power of music during times that feel socially and politically insurmountable, dire and even fatal.  No, music is not some miracle cure. Of course it isn't but its power to match a mood, to soothe a spirit ,to lift a soul is just inexplicable.

Lately, I have been experiencing an especially large windfall of new 2018 music from the likes of Johnny Marr, Jim James, Father John Misty, Melody's Echo Chamber, Gorillaz and especially Kamasi Washington to older titles from Wu Tang Clan and Todd Rundgren to music created here in Madison, WI ad in every single case, the music has not only proven itself to be as magical as it  has ever been, the new 2018 music in particular, has sounded urgently inspired.

It has been said that during socially turbulent times, the difficulties, tension and traumas of the period have produced greater works of art. As the world events of 2018 are more precarious, it is feeling that even if the music itself is not directly addressing the terror of the times, there is a newfound intensity to my ears, an intensity with the creation itself, a tension that feels as if time is not on our side and because of that, not one moment can be wasted upon anything less than the absolute best that can be created and shared.  It feels that the flames of inspiration itself have been re-ignited.

With that being said, my own levels of inspiration are feeling especially ignited as I wish to spend this month composing a few pieces that celebrate two different bands; one younger and local, the other, older and foreign. It just feels right to try and write pieces that are not only celebratory but ones filled with the gratitude of being someone who has been so moved and enriched by what they have so painstakingly created and performed. I can only hope that they turn out the way that I envision them and that they are received as positively as possible.

And then, this coming weekend, it is time again to return "home," so to speak with the 6th annual WLHA Resurrection/Reunion Weekend as broadcast on WSUM 91.7 FM student/community radio in Madison, WI, directly alongside my friends once again. Spinning songs, sharing memories and catching up feel imperative to the times in which we are living, for we need to be sustained in the arms of our families and friends and truthfully, whenever music can serve as that connective tissue, the bonds feel even stronger.

I believe that right now, at this point in time, we need music more than ever and because of that, we, as a society, need to value it immensely for it can no longer just serve itself as some kind of empty accessory. For all that music has given and continues to give to us, we can honor it by treating it with the reverence hat it deserves, especially now when the world feels as if it will spin from it own axis into points unknown.

If anything, perhaps just think about my DJ friend who still continued to show up for work during a profound personal tragedy because, I would imagine, the music pushed her to keep taking those day-by-day steps-by-steps. The music is here for us. To inspire, to recharge, to aid and to heal so we can all continue for as long as we are able to continue.

And as always...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment