Friday, June 1, 2018

WSPC SESSION NOTES JUNE 2018: THE 7TH ANNUAL BLACK MUSIC MONTH CELEBRATION

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

7 years.

You know, when I look at that amount of time and give myself pause to really think about it, I feel so proud. Not in a self-congratulatory sense of pride. I think it is more that it is something that has felt to be so positive for my personal spirit and my relationship with my heritage as well as with the music itself.

Black Music Month is a time where we are all invited to celebrate the Black musicians, singers, songwriters, producers and artistic visionaries from around the world who have graced our individualized and collective worlds with their artistry over time and space It is a period of discovery and education, as well as obvious entertainment, for music exists for our spirits and bodies to be moved and through the enjoyment, our selves work in communion with the works of these artists who were possessed with the gift to create and the bravery and generosity to share.

As always, the content upon Synesthesia will most likely not strictly follow the Black Music Month celebration, as it is something I will partially utilize my Savage Radio program on WVMO-FM and mostly via my Facebook page and You Tube feeds in creating daily playlists that one may choose to experience. By the end of the month, what will have been amassed is the complete curation of a month's work of music spanning genres, styles, decades and generations, all of which hopefully illustrates just a piece of the scope and breadth of what Black musical artists have delivered to all of us.

7 years.

With each year, there are moments usually at the very beginning of the celebration where I feel simultaneous bouts of excitement and a bit of trepidation, as I do not wish to simply re-hash anything I have picked from the past 6 years. Of course, there will be some repeats of songs and cherished artists. Yes, I do hope to have each Saturday morning serve as commemorations of "Soul Train," just as I experienced the television program in my childhood growing up in the Chicago, IL of the 1970's and 1980's.

But mostly, I do wish to challenge myself. To find the artists that I have not previously played or artists that I am completely unfamiliar with, in the hopes of further expanding my palate, knowledge and appreciation. No easy feat but one that I wish to have fun with, and I hope that the fun I am having translates to you.

Black Music Month is about community to me. The community of my African-American heritage unquestionably. But, the community I am speaking of just as importantly (if not even a tad moreso), it is the community that we share collectively as human beings. So much can be learned and experienced solely though the music and  honestly, how much better off we would be if we just took the time to understand each other, even just a little bit more than we had previously, if at all.

Yes, I know. It may sound too terribly simplistic to think that a month's worth of music will accomplish any sense of healing and understanding between the races while having the music of love, peace, and soul as our soundtrack. But...you know...stranger things have happened and at t his stage in the game, I think we need all of the help that we can receive.

So, with that, let's all jump into this 7th year together and let this experience be whatever it shall be...and of course, as you listen...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!

7 years, y'all...7 years!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment