Tuesday, July 4, 2017

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES JULY 2017: SUPPORT THE LOCAL, CONQUER THE GLOBAL

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:
It's that time again for me, dear readers and listeners. The time when it all comes together so harmoniously. Yes...in one week's time, I will return to my radio stomping grounds so to speak as the University of Wisconsin-Madison's exemplary college/community radio station WSUM-FM, will host the 5th annual WLHA Resurrection/Reunion Weekend event!!!!

This is an extremely important time for me as it allows me to not only visit the beautiful WSUM studios again, thus re-aligning the radio station that existed in my head during my college radio years between 1987-1991 and the realities the current crop of college students are graced with long after WLHA's end in 1993.

It is a time to reunite with friends made during the college years, meet a collective of like minded individuals who have traveled across the country to take part in this event, meet the current keepers of the flame and to finally, re-connect with a piece of my spirit that has existed ever since I was first captivated with the radio as a small child. It is an amazing day, the fun and significance of which is never lost upon me, even now as I am happily hosting a weekly program on WVMO FM, for there are no guarantees and believe me, I am more thankful for the opportunities and experiences that I have had in radio now than I ever have been in the past.

It's funny because whenever I have been on the air at any of those three radio stations, it is very easy to feel as if I am operating somewhat within a vacuum. Now, back when I was on WLHA, it probably was more like that as the wattage was so profoundly minuscule and it was difficult to hear the station in the first place. But now, with the broadcast towers and the wonders of internet technology and live streaming capabilities, the ability to heard worldwide is something that I am still finding myself becoming used to as it all seems to be so impossible. But, it is possible...rather,  more than possible, because it is happening!!

With that, there comes a new found responsibility with being on the air and finding a way to communicate to people that are not just within the boundaries of my city and state but much further beyond as well. To represent my city, my alma mater, the local station(s) with which I am aligned and of course, myself, hopefully, anyone that chooses to listen can hear the fun I am having but also an impression of what the music in Madison has to offer.

I want people from anywhere and everywhere in the world to hear all of us in Madison, from the DJs and the left of center stations to the musical artists that are continuously surprising me and fully enlivening our fair city and music itself. I hope that when I go on the air for my Savage Radio show and this weekend at WSUM, I am a good representative and I pledge and promise to do my best for the stations, the artists and the city.

For this month in Synesthesia, I am hoping to finally shed some light on some new local releases, all of which have impressed me tremendously and I sincerely hope that after reading, you will show these local artists and local heroes some love and exceedingly well deserved attention.

So...for now, I'll "sign off" as I again invite you to check me and my city out in the real world on WSUM 91.7 FM (on Sunday, July 9th beginning at 8 a.m.) as well as WVMO 98.7 FM (every Wednesday night from 7 p.m.-8 p.m.)...

...and remember to always PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment