Thursday, June 1, 2017

WSPC SESSION NOTES FOR JUNE 2017: THE 6TH ANNUAL BLACK MUSIC MONTH CELEBRATION

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK: 

What a beautiful event this month is and how wonderful an event it is for me to experience each year.

Dear readers and listeners, when I began celebrating Black Music Month, I don't think that I really anticipated what it would mean to be on a level deeper than the music. In past years, I have written about the entire aspect of "discovery," how this month is an educational time for me as well as deeply entertaining. Of course, I am unable to know about every musician that has come, gone and remained within our public consciousness but I am surprised and sometimes saddened with how little I do know, considering my heritage. For as much as music means to me, I feel that I should know as much about Black artists or musicians in the field of R&B, soul, hip-hop and especially jazz as much as I do about rock musicians.

Jazz music and the musicians who birthed and continue the art are truly musical superheroes to me as the form of self-expression merged with improvisation becomes a form of communication that transcends language itself as it speaks directly to the soul. I guess it could be argued that ALL music presented at its very best performs that very feat but I guess, when I think of jazz--instrumental music where the lines between performer and instrument are completely blurred until they are one and the same--the sheer virtuosity and artistry is staggering for me to behold. So, how is it that I just do not know who all of these people are? And why not?

That is what Black Music Month has been about to me. A time for sharing my heritage through my mythical WSPC "radio station," depicting the breadth and scope of what Black musicians, singers, producers, composers and arrangers have been able to achieve. If we all really took the time to just examine, just imagine what we would learn!

Yet now, in 2017, life has become just that much more perilous, making the art and artistry, which is steeped in the ways of the world of how we, as Black people, have viewed it that much more essential as the music has now (again) become a crucial element of understanding, of ourselves as well as each other.

As with every month but especially this one, I think you would be able to easily track my emotional and cerebral status just through the songs that I "play." Yes, on Saturday mornings, I may try to again dig up some vintage "Soul Train" clips, something that commemorates my Chicago childhood in the 1970's. And Mondays may be, partially or fully, devoted to Motown due to the alliteration. But, I play whatever my spirit tends to dictate. Some days may just be songs that are fun and celebratory. Some days me be more overtly political and militant. And some days, may be devoted to the selections that just have no words but the music itself tells you precisely where I am coming from...through the voices of those who are exceedingly more talented than I could ever be.

As with past years, the content upon Synesthesia will not necessarily follow the Black Music Month theme as certain album reviews (or better yet, "explorations") have been just waiting to be written for quite some time. But, for this month, if you happen to be Facebook friends with me especially, just take in the songs I post each and every day and see if it does indeed weave a certain story for you or if it leads to to a musical discovery that you otherwise would not have made.

Black Music Month is a journey of inclusiveness and togetherness, for why else would I wish to share it with you and why else would these musicians have chosen to share their art with all of us. Let's sing, dance, experience, learn and discover together, shall we.

And as always, PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment