Sunday, October 2, 2016

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES OCTOBER 2016: DO NOT DISTURB THIS GROOVE

FROM THE DJ's STUDIO DESK:

From time to time, I have wondered if WSPC should shut down its signal...

Yes, WSPC, my mythical radio station, the one that has been playing inside of my brain, heart and spirit for the entirety of my life, and will only truly cease to broadcast on the day I leave this mortal coil (which I hope is an infinity of time from now, but that's another posting altogether), is something that every once in a while. I ponder shutting down as it "exists" in the real world. WSPC is a pretend radio station that is culminated through song postings I place upon my Facebook page, and which I further compile and post by the conclusion of each month. Now that I have a home upon WVMO in the very real world with my weekly Savage Radio program, it has made me question if there is any use for WSPC anymore.

Over these last few months, I have been receiving some positive feedback about Savage Radio that has been encouraging and supportive to levels that I do not feel that I am sufficiently able to describe to you. Both radio veterans and legends, Tom Teuber and most especially Lindsay Wood Davis, the top brass of WVMO, the very ones w ho brought this little community radio station into existence in Monona, WI a hair over one year ago, have each given me words of praise. Yet, and also, in recent weeks, I have just begun to hear from actual listeners (i.e. people that are my friends and do not know whatsoever) and their feedback has sent me over the moon and back, as it seems a connection is being forged between what they enjoy listening to and the kind of broadcast that I am trying to weave each week.

Just last week, I attempted something unprecedented for the program. I conducted my first on-air interview with the Madison, WI based band Dash Hounds (featuring the talents of Alivia Kleinfeldt and Brendan Manley) as a means to give additional promotion to their debut EP "Eft" (released August 27, 2016). Hoping that all of my years listening to the syndicated "Rockline" program assisted me, the interview went off without any major hitches and I am now beginning to possibly have members of Post Social join me for an interview to help push their recently released third album "Casablanca" (released July 30, 2016). 

From that one show, I have heard some nice words and surprisingly received a message from Matt Smith of the local band Throwing Springs--incidentally, someone else that I have not met or had previously heard of--who not only expressed some kind words for the Dash Hounds interview but also sent me his band's EP to listen to with the suggestion that perhaps I'd like to interview them on a future show! (Honestly, how did they even know about my show in the first place??? Maybe they are friends with Dash Hounds...I don't know.) WOW!!

Now...have faith, dear readers and listeners. I am not and will not get a big head about any of this. I just can't. Anything an change and it all could end tomorrow for any number of reasons. All I am able to do is to try my best each week and just let everything flow as naturally as possible. The very best word that I can utilize at this time is: "thankful." I am so very thankful to have been allowed to be in this position within the Madison radio and music community--so very thankful. So, it is imperative to remain humble and gracious. Yet, as far as WSPC is concerned, with my energies devoted to WVMO, I question if there even is a need for it anymore--not that my FB friends are just waiting with bated breath to see what songs I'm going to post on any given day (trust me, they aren't)--but for myself as any sort of a creative outlet.

Some days, I honestly do not feel terribly inspired. Some days, I just cannot think of anything to "play," so I either run to tried and true favorites or some days, there's nothing at all. Some days, even compiling the list feels like a bit of a self-imposed chore than something fun. And with all of that, I question if I should continue something that just might not be that much fun anymore. For if it is not fun, then what's the purpose?

But you know...those feelings are all part of the on-going ebb and flow of this entire music devotee's process. There have been times with Savage Radio that I have wondered if I have run out of music to play--even when I know that it completely far from reality considering my music collection. And then, I find myself re-inspired and I'm just bursting with ideas and excitement for future shows. It all comes and goes, the groove may be disturbed a bit here and there but the love always remains, returning me triumphantly back into the groove.

I am WSPC and WSPC is me. That's it and that's all. I wish that I didn't feel the twinges to just pack it in at times, but again, I keep realizing that this is all a part of the process. Ebb and flow...it comes and it goes and it will always come back again. Never has it failed, and of course, on October 1st, I was flooding with ideas and began posting faster than I could even listen to the songs themselves.

Hopefully, in the fantasy of WSPC and reality of WVMO, you are all able to sense my enthusiasm and deep, passionate love for music and for sharing that very music with anyone who chooses to hear it. WSPC is truthfully the full source of where all of the ideas come from, so how could I ever really shut something like that down?

All I can do is keep plugging away and give thanks to all of you--for I do thank all of you, so profusely.

Just keep listening, if not to me, then to whatever moves you powerfully...and as always...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment