Friday, April 1, 2016

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES FOR APRIL 2016: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE 2016

FROM THE DJ's STUDIO DESK:

Today--specifically April 1st--I took a quick trip to the record store--B-Side Records, even more specifically.

I was on my way to work but I needed to stop in and purchase a couple of new releases and impulsively, I also picked up a third new release. Inside, store owner Steve Manley had The Beatles playing over the speakers at full tilt while several patrons of varying ages roamed around, picking up this album or that, just soaking up the atmosphere and while my visit was brief, those moments were as tremendously warming as they have ever been throughout my life.

Dear readers and listeners, I am unable to tell you how much of my lifetime has been spent inside of a record store. But I am able to express that every single moments that I have ever spent inside of a record store have been nothing less than illuminating and joyous as they are not only environments where the magic of discovery can always be found, the sense of community is paramount to the overall experience. You never even have to speak to anyone. You just know that you are generally in the company of like minded individuals who are all happily wandering upon the same musical journey as yourself. But, trust me, if you do happen to speak to someone, whether a patron, clerk or proprietor, your visit will be enhanced in ways that are immeasurable. At least, that is precisely what all of those experiences have been like for me, and believe me, I would never steer you wrong.

On Saturday, April 16th, the national Record Store Day will occur and I simply implore you to head out into your respective cities and seek out your local record stores and just take it all in. I am already planning my day, hoping that I will be able to visit both B-Side Records as well as Mad City Music Exchange, where that communal spirit and the love of music will triumphantly fill the air. While I just do not have the funds to purchase one of the specialty items that will go on sale exclusively upon that date, I do intend to make a purchase to support the local businesses that have always been there for me whenever I have felt the need to visit--either to make a purchase or just to spend some time on the search allowing the full environment to sustain my spirit.

I don't mean to make this sound overly metaphysical but these environments are indeed sacred places to me and besides...they are so much fun!!!

Support your community by supporting your local record store. Those of us that already do so will always return. And if you have not done so before, make Record Store Day your first of a new lifetime of visits.

And whatever you happen to pick up for yourselves, always remember to...

...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment