Thursday, July 31, 2014

NOW PLAYING IN THE SAVAGE JUKEBOX JULY 2014

At this time, there is to be a slight change to this particular monthly series.

Just like the "Liner Notes" series which began when this site originated, I was almost beginning to feel as if writing the "Now Playing..." feature was an assignment. And frankly, if it begins to feel like an assignment, then something has to be adjusted. While illustrating what I have been listening to throughout each month, as a sideline to the monthly WSPC playlist, feels absolutely right, then maybe this feature should just be...an illustration.

So, instead of writing lengthy pieces for each and every album featured, I will just present the cover, the artist and release date and if I feel so inspired, then and only then will I write something to accompany the album in question. I have to be able to enjoy what I am doing as well as not make it to cumbersome for you too, especially as I have been so prolific with this and my other two blogsites.

Enjoy!

"PETER BUCK"
PETER BUCK
Released October 5, 2012
-After R.E.M. disbanded in 2011, Peter Buck very quietly went ahead and began releasing his first solo albums, yet they are vinyl only releases. Since I am unable to listen to my vinyl albums thanks to a very mischievous black cat that resides with me in my home, I heard this album in full on You Tube and it is precisely the kids of left of center/oddball album that I tend to like from time to time. Now... wonder if there are any MP3s floating around out there...
"THE WAY I SEE IT"
RAPHAEL SAADIQ
Released September 16, 2008
"HERMIT OF MINK HOLLOW"
TODD RUNDGREN
Released April 7, 1978
"ELLIS BELL"
THE COLD AND LOVELY

Released September 24, 2013
"LONERISM"
TAME IMPALA
Released October 5, 2012
-My favorite album of 2012 hands down!!
"SPILT MILK"
JELLYFISH
Released February 9, 1993
"16 LOVERS LANE"
THE GO-BETWEENS
Released August 1988
"THE GO-BETWEENS 1978-1990"
THE GO-BETWEENS
Released 1990
-My return to WLHA courtesy of WSUM brought me back to this band and these particular albums.
"LOVE JUNK"
THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS
Released 1988
This album, from one of my most favorite bands, remains one of the best debut album I have ever heard. Just one killer song after another.
"MONTH OF SUNDAYS"
THE CHAMBER STRINGS
Released March 27, 2001
-I cannot urge you enough to try and seek out the two albums from this band as the Brian Wilson-esque/early Todd Rundgren, symphonic power pop is just beguiling to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment