Saturday, February 6, 2021

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES FOR FEBRUARY 2021


FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

Love in the time of COVID...

This time one year ago, COVID 19 had not take its full hold over the nation. We were still going about our business just as we always had during our respective lifetimes. Socializing, banding together physically and all of our social events that are designed to bring us together has all been replaced with isolation, being apart and devising new ways to create an emotional closeness as we are unable to be physically together. 

Has love changed?

I would like to believe that if love has changed during this time of COVID, it has only grown in its intensity and importance because with our world so much on fire, it really is as U2 sang..."Love Is All We Have Left."  

I can feel that love as I miss being able to visit my Mom safely or to spend time with friends without worry. I can feel that love as I am so concerned for the continued safety and livelihoods of my friends who are local business owners or my friends who are working musicians and without having locations in which to perform. I can feel that love in all of us who are out in the world of the pandemic every day, continuing to work for the betterment of our families even as our lives, and emotional sanity, are at risk. 

I can unquestionably feel that love in the music being created and released.   

I have expressed this feeling many times over 2020 that with all of the horror of the year, the music released, from end to end was absolutely glorious in composition, performance and overall execution. The love in the communion between artist and muse was palpable, creating a greater urgency and purpose to the music being made. Therefore, so many artists, from newcomers to veterans, amassed material that spoke to the soul just at the point when it was needed in order to process what it is like to live within this new, frightening, lonelier world where the need for connection simultaneously became  more precarious and crucial. 

And for me, that love existed in the listening. The music released made for direct hits and also ones that only continued to reverberate over time, and in doing so, I am hoping that we have an arsenal of timeless art that music fans 50 years from now can look back upon in amazement just as I look in amazement at the music created 50 years ago from right now. 

We need love and in turn, love needs us. What are your songs of love? What are the songs that you love? What music might even conjure love right at this point when we need it the most?

Whatever it is, in this time of COVID...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment