Tuesday, January 5, 2021

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES FOR JANUARY 2021


FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK: 

It looks like we have finally made it to 2021, which is truly a feat in and of itself after the past year we have all experienced. And in all honesty, even as the page of the calendar has turned, all of the turmoil remains at its fever pitch. But, somehow, someway (and maybe I am just feeling this in this moment as I am writing), I am trying to feel hopeful for what 2021 can bring.

At midnight, when 2020 officially became 2021, Foo Fighters released "No Son Of Mine," their second single from their upcoming album "Medicine At Midnight." As in standard Foo style, the song was a hard charging effort, filled with guitars and glory and an energy that made me feel as if we kicked down a door or several to get ourselves in to this new year. Not long thereafter, I played my annual "first day of the new year song," U2's classic "New Year's Day," and in doing so, this nearly 40 (!) year old song sounded as fresh and as untainted as the that sense of possibility that exists on the first of the year. 

And somehow, against everything that has happened and everything that is still happening, in those two distinct moments, I felt hopeful. 

I realize very well how naïve all of this sounds, especially as dire as everything is in the world. But, like those two aforementioned songs accomplished for me, they showed me how important hope is. But hope needs help and sometimes, that very help arrives in the music that speaks to our souls.

I guess if I have any words to share, any messages I wish to pass along is that hope is crucial, hope is essential, hope is a necessity of existence but hope will always need help in order to become action. Keep listening to what ever music inspires you, lifts you and serves you as you make it from one day into the next. We need it more than ever.

Of course, and as always...PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment