Monday, February 10, 2020

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES FEBRUARY 2020

NOTES FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:

"Take care of yourselves. Take care of each other."

Those are the words that I use to close out each episode of Savage Radio and I think that I began using after the last Presidential election, when the world felt as if it was just this close to ending. In this time, which has only proven itself to becoming more vitriolic and representative of our basest instincts coming to the forefront, I guess I wanted to use those words as a means of offering some sort of support to whomever happened to be listening. A way of showing solidarity with the hopes of the message being received and then somehow returned. And, as I think of it now, I am quite certain I used those words or paraphrased them the liner note epigraph found upon Utopia's "Oops! Wrong Planet" album (released September 1977)!!!! The depths of the Savage Archives in my mind...ha ha ha!!

Now that we are in the second month of this new decade and our social/political landscape only continues to increase in its rancor and that sense of uncertainty and fear is indeed bringing such elevated anxiety for all of us, it is even more imperative that we take care of ourselves and take care of each other, for we are all that we have.

And of course, music.

There is really something in the air and perhaps it is that sense of anxiety that is fueling the music that is being made. Not that the music is becoming more intense. But it is becoming more purposeful as if musicians are creating works as if it will be their last statements. Already in 2020, and even within this previous week, I have heard new releases from established artists that stand superbly tall as well as new music from newer artists that shine as brightly as the rising sun, and all of it works as a counterpoint to the existential mood.

This music sounds hopeful. Even if only for the duration of the song or album itself. And that's better than nothing at all, isn't it?

There's so much I wish to write to you about concerning my favorite music from 2019, new 2020 music I am hearing and then, the favorites from the past decade, and time is always being taken up by so many other life responsibilities. But, my hope is to get something out to you that maybe would inspire you to listen as a means of helping you to take care of yourselves so that you can help to take care of others too.

Who knows?

PLAY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment