Monday, April 1, 2019

SYNESTHESIA'S SESSION NOTES APRIL 2019: SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC STORES AND COMMUNITY

FROM THE DJ'S STUDIO DESK:
Yes indeed, that time of year is about to arrive once again--but honestly, it is a time I strongly feel that we who love music should cultivate and honor each and every day of the entire year.

On Saturday, April 13, 2019, we will once again experience Record Store Day, a celebration of the nation's independent record store, possesses a notoriety that has been simultaneously enhanced and harmed a little by what has now gained the most attention: the plethora of exclusive and high priced rare musical material by a who's who of artists all designed to get those faithful and rabid record collectors to empty their pockets once again.

Because of the commerce driven side to the promotion, it is easy to find ways to become down upon this annual event. But for me, I wish to again impress upon you what the day means to me and I wish for you to hold onto should you find yourselves braving those close quarters of your neighborhood record stores.

 For me, Record Store Day, is a day of celebration, communion and community. A day to take note of these unique and fully idiosyncratic locations that at some crucial life stage for each and every one of us called out to us and invited us inside, creating a newfound sense of home and discovery.

It amazes me to this day, the amount of excitement, comfort and security I feel each and every time I walk into one of the local record stores in my city of Madison, WI.  While at this phase of my life, I am able to have greater personal connections to the stores I frequent based upon friendships of the owners and staff members that I have grown close with over the years, that very same sense of feeling completely on home ground exists just as it did when I was a kid visiting record stores, thumbing through the stacks and knowing not one other person on site. The music and the albums were my friends and each visit felt like a grand reunion.

But doubling back to those individuals to whom now I have grown strong connections, I cannot express passionately enough about how each and every one of the, plus the establishments that they tend are so firmly grounded into the music community of the city specifically as well as the community of the city in its entirety.  I think of the local musicians who work in these stores while also creating music and performing live around the city themselves. I think of the local DJs like myself who still so excitedly venture into these establishments looking for that next great whatever it could possibly be to blow our minds and expand our hearts as we also add them into our personal collections and even play them over the airwaves.

And still, as always, what I love the most is being a witness to the ocean of happiness upon display, the happiness of discovery, the happiness of being with friends and fellow music lovers all joined in discussion and debate so cheerfully holding some musical artifact in our hands, all the while eagerly awaiting the very moment when we can sit back and listen...

That is what Record Store Day means to me and all of the exclusive,  high priced material is just a catalyst to remind us about these special and sacred places that are all inclusive and just waiting for someone new to make that unexpected first trip that could preclude a lifetime journey.

I feel that local, independent Record Stores are bastions of art and community that fully deserves our love, appreciation and even protection in this increasingly isolated age dictated by the internet, on-line shopping and our pursuits upon social media. For there is nothing like hearing music within a physical space, and reacting to it with complete strangers and treasured friends in real time. Absolutely nothing! And at its best, it is undeniably blissful.

So...as you do venture out to find that rare whatever it could happen to be item that you must have, just spend some time watching and listening and in those observations, I really think you will be able to gather what the true spirit of Record Store Day is all about.

And hopefully, it will bring you back again before next year.

Oh yeah...one more thing...whatever you happen to purchase, remember to.....PLAY LOUD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment