Wednesday, December 2, 2015

WSPC'S SESSION NOTES FOR DECEMBER 2015: NEW ADVENTURES IN SAVAGE RADIO ON WVMO-FM

FROM THE DJ's STUDIO DESK:

And so it begins again.

At this time of writing, I your humble DJ, has begun a brand new stint as a real world disc jockey, therefore officially returning me to the airwaves. Unlike my college years with WLHA-FM with its one half of one watt, FM mono frequency, or through my visits to 'LHA's successor WSUM-FM with the annual Resurrection/Reunion weekends over the past three years, I now have my own weekly space upon a real world radio station once again and this time, there is the true potential for being heard in ways that I have never been heard before.

The station is WVMO-FM, a new community radio vehicle, a little over four months old, and located in the Monona, WI City Hall building, which itself is just across the street from the Monona Public Library. On your radio dial, that is, if you live in Monona or Madison, WVMO can be found at 98.7 FM. Or, if you find the station's website, you will be able to either listen live via an on-line stream or you are also able to download an app to your smartphone, making you able to hear the station essentially anywhere you travel. Unreal. Just unreal.

My weekly space upon WVMO-The Voice Of Monona is a 60 minute program which I have entitled "Savage Radio," and the musical content is precisely what you already find upon my mythical WSPC. Yet, unlike searching for links from You Tube and pasting them upon my Facebook page to create "sets" of music one could listen to, Savage Radio consists entirely of music from my own collection and after doing three shows, I am seeing that I am able to play perhaps 11 songs per show, with three official sets which are interspersed with two breaks which contain not commercials but news, items and public service announcements that pertain to life and activities within Monona.

When I began participating in the WLHA Resurrection/Reunion weekends, I was informed by one of the then student DJ's and even as recently as this year by WSUM DJ Randy Ballwahn, who hosts the EXCELLENT weekly two-hour speeding bullet of a radio show entitled "Freak Scene Radio" on early Friday mornings, that 'SUM is a community radio station as well a station primarily geared for the college students of the University Of Wisconsin-Madison. In many ways, it was a most tempting offer to ponder as being a DJ upon WSUM would bring my life in radio full circle, as I would essentially be returning home, despite the change in call letters.

Yet, even as I tossed my name into the proverbial hat, I still somehow felt that perhaps, it just would not be quite right for me.Yes, 'SUM is home and will always remain so but even so I do believe that it is a place for the students first and foremost and I would have hated to potentially take something away from someone else who had never had the opportunity to do what I have already been blessed to do. So, as preliminary semester station meetings passed by, especially as my school duties took precedent, I surprisingly did not feel sad about another chance possibly slipping away. It just felt right. No matter what, I would still have the 'LHA weekends in the summer for as long as 'SUM decided to host them, and maybe that would be enough. And it was fine with me because, I did it for four years. It's now someone else's turn and furthermore, if some new opportunity were to arise, I just wanted to be sure that it was as organic as possible. Then, and only then, would it feel just right for me.

And then, I saw the article...

In the September 19th edition of the free weekly newspaper the Isthmus, I stumbled upon an article entitled, "A Voice For Monona" and subtitled "A new low-power radio station gets residents talking." Within the article, I learned about the new FCC licensed station, which serves a seven mile radius and by now, must have over 50 volunteers.

Under the leadership of our Program Director, the Madison radio veteran Tom Teuber as well as Media Coordinator Will Nimmow, the goal of WVMO is to provide a variety of content from live and pre-recorded material which features local news, and live sports coverage, to programs that spotlight LGBT issues, Hmong culture, science, religion and spirituality, fitness, storytelling, education tips for our youngest community members, and of course, music, which so far features programs like "The Prog Rock Hour," "Vintage Vinyl Hour" and even a two hour late Sunday night broadcast devoted to live material performed by Phish. The bulk of the musical content at this time is a programmed stream of artists that fly under the banner of Americana music, a format not typically broadcast.

Even with the strong and vital presence of both WSUM and the long running Madison community station WORT-FM, WVMO already sounds unlike anything else upon the radio dial, and to me, that is a decidedly attractive opportunity to pursue. To potentially be near the ground floor of a new venture that is currently in the process of defining and establishing itself in the Monona and Madison community. I felt compelled to inquire as to any possibilities of becoming involved.
Truth be told, everything occurred faster than I had anticipated. I sent an e-mail to Will Nimmow, explaining how I had seen the Isthmus article, described my history in radio and asked if there may be a way to become involved and add my voice to WVMO's larger voice. I was then invited to a staff meeting at the Monona Public Library, after which I was invited to see the station itself, which is much smaller (essentially a box shaped room with an adjoining tiny office space) than the WSUM studios, which I often express looks and feels like the Starship Enterprise, but still possesses state of the art equipment for usage and broadcasting. In some ways, and unlike the expansive 'SUM studios with is wonderful vistas of the UW campus and Lake Mendota directly outside the windows, the 'VMO studio feels quite cozy.

And besides, having John, Paul, George and Ringo's collective eyes regarding the proceedings, I felt instant comfort.
During my visit, I met a few of the already working volunteer DJs, all of whom were immediately welcoming. Will Nimmow and I arranged to meet the following week for a training, which was mostly a "talk through" the boards and procedures as the host of the "Vintage Vinyl Hour" was on-air and WVMO does not possess a separate studio to practice in. I tried to keep my expectations low, in the event things would not line up as I was already hoping, but then Nimmow invited me to come back the following week to perform my first live show, while he worked nearby inhis office in case I had questions or concerns.

My live debut occurred the evening of Wednesday, November 11th and over the following two weeks, I returned for a second and third show, with Nimmow's decreased presence (that third show was completely solo). Dear readers and listeners, it felt so WONDERFUL to be back behind the boards!!!! It felt so right, so natural and just incredibly fun!!! Yes, I still find myself completely nervous when it is time for me to speak on-air, and I am always trying my best to sort of find my voice, which I hope sounds engaging and nice to listen to, as well as a natural flow to my words, which always seem to be on the verge of failing me. If I have a few little notes on my notepad, where I catalog my playlist, I feel more grounded.

After some encouraging words from Nimmow, and three weeks on the air, I have now been granted an official airslot for Savage Radio, which will be on Wednesday evenings from 7 p.m.- 8 p.m. This was the organic opportunity that I had been waiting for. It all has been very pleasant, accommodating and with the station being a short 10 minute drive from my house, rather than driving into downtown Madison for the 'SUM studios, this new transition in my life feels to be an especially good fit so far. I sincerely hope that it is able to continue for a long time to come, and I also hope that the 'VMO powers-that-be feel that what I am able to contribute fits well within the aesthetic they are trying to cultivate with this new venture.
WLHA/WSUM will always be my home and I will forever pledge my allegiance to them, with regards to their history and their future. But, hopefully WVMO can be another home away from home for me, as I continue to live out my childhood fantasies. With Savage Radio, I hope that I am able to craft an enjoyable, entertaining and unpredictable show, that is as left-of-center as it is accessible. I am hoping that it will be blissfully melodic and beautifully loud and that if you do choose to check it out, you will be happy enough to return the following week to hear even more. Additionally, Savage Radio now has an official Facebook page (so please visit and "like" it) and I will also post show playlists on Synesthesia, alongside the content you have already seen and loved!

THANK YOU to WVMO for giving me this chance to have some radio fun again. I hope this is the start to a lengthy relationship and most of all, I sincerely hope that you choose to listen in. I am anxious to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment